Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Fat Cheerleader
















I spent 10 minutes picking at the blackheads on my nose last night at 3:30 a.m. Why? I used to do it in high school when I was anxious. And, I am anxious. I just received notice that my 20 year class reunion is in 15 weeks. Yes, I am freaking out. Big Time.

My first thought was "OK. How many weeks is that? Get me a calendar. How much more weight can I lose before August?" Fifteen weeks. I can handle that deadline. One pound a week until then puts me at my weight in my sophomore year. Cha-ching.

My second freak out moment was "Who will I sit with?" I really have no friends from high school that I keep in touch with. I have some Facebooky people but they really don't know me. I honestly am afraid to walk into the actual reunion. I might be sitting alone in a corner with my husband and margarita. That sounds perfect.

My final freak out before this turns into a novel was "What will I wear?" Casual place. August. I have at least have 15 weeks to figure it out and try not to look overdressed like I am freaking out.

My head is a spinning. I am off to rent some good reunion movies to really capture my anxiety. I remember Gross Point Blank and the Phoebe's from Friends movie about her reunion. Any others that I missing?

Now I know that many of you are saying I have nothing to worry about. I hear you. But, it is too late for freaking out. See, I was a cheerleader. Remember that most people say that the cheerleaders get fat after high school? I. Will. Not. Be. One. of. Those. Fat. Cheerleaders. But, I was also played violin in the orchestra. Yes, a geeky cheerleader. So, not many friends. But I loved my extra-curricular activities. Wow. All of my axieties from high school come flooding back. My big goal? It is to not pick my face apart before August. That is the true test. Oh man. I hope I make it until August.

(Can you find me? Front row, right in the middle)

8 comments:

Mira said...

I went to my ten year a week out of rotator cuff surgery, in an immobilizer on heavy painkillers... that was perfect. :)

Jessica said...

I can't even tell you to calm down because I'm sure I'll be the same way someday! But, dang girl, only 15 pounds away from your sophomore weight...that's NOT a fat cheerleader!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You so aren't a fat cheerleader.

And, seriously, all this anxiety...do you have to go? Just saying....

amyjr said...

I went to my 20th pregnant (33 weeks) with Isabella and with a different husband than I had at the 10 yr.
Don't fret so much and remember I can help you find clothes for it!! LOL :-D

Danielle Ferguson-Marazza said...

Gina--we have all changed in 20 years both physically and spiritually, right? I own every gray hair I have (even though I color over them), every wrinkle (have not found anything to do about that) and every bit of stretched skin over my abdomen (thanks to my adorable boys). I have a wonderful book for you to read--I, myself, am plagued with anxiety and I refer to this book often--A New Earth-Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Ekhard Tolle. It's a tough read at first but don't give up! You will embrace it--I promise. I will expect a 500 word essay delivered at 6:00pm on Aug. 7th. Just kidding--once a nerd, always a nerd!!! I truly hope you will come and have some fun! I would love you catch up with you and compare stories! Your kids are beautiful and I love your comment regarding "the toughest bosses you'll ever have." Isn't that the truth? I only work a couple days a week and I tell my patients I have to come to work to rest!!!

GypsiAdventure said...

You are so much braver than I am...reunion-HAHAHA! I didn't have any desire to go back.
Good luck to ya!!
~K

Anonymous said...

You'll do great and look great! Keep your hands off your face- like Dad use to say! :)Larla

ps. That means my 20 year is only 2 years away. YIKES! When did we grow up and get old?

Alarika Kegley said...

Hi there-
Just thought I'd like to mention this whole 'fat cheerleader' thing is kinda silly. I'm a college level cheer captain and I am 5'8 and 250- and by the way VERY proud of who I am, how I look and I think it's petty to be upset if anyone thought they were a 'fat cheerleader.' Come on people!

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title