Monday, September 8, 2008

Throwing Stones

I try not to judge other mothers. Well...I judge them. I just try to not talk about it. But, I am going to do some judging here so hold on.


My husband and I went to see Tropic Thunder. It is a comedy with Jack Black, Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. The movie is about three actors filming a Vietnam War movie. It is a comedy and it is rated R. It's website states that it is rated R because of pervasive language including sexual references, violent content and drug references. Because of the Vietnam War theme, there was A LOT of violence. There were a lot of "F bombs" and a whole lot of swearing was going on. Since it is an adult movie and I am an adult, no problem. I knew what I was seeing and my husband really wanted to see this movie. I love the actors so I was all for it.


Right before the movie started a nice normal looking couple walks in with their five year old. Yes, into an R rated movie. As they were walking past me to their seat, the movie started with really offensive language. So offensive that I can't write about it here. They had their warning that it was going to be bad and they stayed. As I sat there, I started to think that maybe the little boy would sleep. Maybe I was being oversensitive. But no, during the movie, I heard him make some noise and he was wide awake when he walked out.


I was so irritated that it kept me from enjoying the movie. I was cringing for this child. As the lights came up at the end of the movie, I saw another set of normal looking parents sat with their 9 and 7 year old boys in the row in front of me. I had no idea that they were there until the movie was over. I probably would have embarrassed my husband so I am glad that I didn't see them until we left.

I can see taking an older child to an educational movie where you will discuss and there will be a moment to learn from. I could see taking an older child to Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda or Schindler's List. Tropic Thunder is pure comedy. People went there to laugh, not learn. I cannot think of one reason why these people brought their young children to this movie.

So, I am doing some judging here. I am judging the parents who first made a bad choice to walk into that movie. They made a bad choice to stay. They crossed a line that no child should cross at age 5. I think Cinemark should not allow a child into this sort of movie. I know the ratings are in place. I don't think it is effective. Nothing positive comes from a five year old seeing this movie. If parents can't make responsible decisions when choosing movies, maybe the movie companies should put some policies in place to help them in their decision. I know they won't do that but I am just saying.

So, I am throwing stones. I don't do it often but today, it had to be done.


9 comments:

Stephanie said...

The only way to raise good children is to be a good example. When kids see that parents go to those kinds of movies, they think its ok to behave that way. It fills their little heads full of mush! Is it any wonder the way things are today? Ratings obviously don't phase many people these days...of course, ratings aren't what they used to be. I watched a PG movie with gang violence, the f word and someone humping a park bench. The church group I was with had several get up and leave. You just can't trust the world anymore!!! I say all that to say I'm totally with you! Those parents were stupid!

OHmommy said...

Wow. You and your husband got to see a movie alone? I need to take my husband out more. It has been years. ;)

I know. It's terrible. I just hope that THAT five year old does not befriend my loving and sensitive five year old in school. You know?

Cause that would be like second hand smoke. Right?

Stephanie said...

Wow..I havent seen the movie, but I have heard about it!
I cant believe someone would bring their 10 yr old much less a 5 yr old.
Keep throwing your stones girl..you are justified on this subject in my eyes!
On a different note, glad you and the hubby got out to see a movie!!

Rhea said...

I wouldn't take my 11yr old to an R rated movie!! OMG, five years old?! That's too little. So is Nine and seven. Bad bad parents!!

Unless the kids had ear plugs in and game boys on...lol

Someone Being Me said...

That reminds me of when my stepmom's brother took me, my sister, my stepbrother, my stepsister, and his two kids all of us were under 13 to see The Last Boy scout in the theatre. Totally not appropriate.

enthalpymama said...

That's just maddening. Can you see it "Gee, mom, can I have a Vietnam birthday when I turn six?"

Kat said...

Wow. That would have really ticked me off too. I don't think I would have been able to enjoy the movie because I would have been stewing the whole time.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I have to agree with you.

I have to wonder if he is one of the kids that is going to cuss me out one day, or call me "girl" in my classroom. Because, that is totally unacceptable to me!

Amy said...

Wow, to me that is just selfish parenting. I know that is more fun to see a movie in the theatre, but if you can't get a sitter then they should stay home. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the movie either.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title