Monday, September 29, 2008

Not A Soccer Mommy But Have To Be



I am so not a soccer mom. I am by definition but I am so not good at it. Ryan played on Saturday and a coach's wife came over to sit with me. "What's the score?" Hmmm. Good question. Wasn't even paying attention at all. Hmmm. Should I guess? Lie? Hmmmm. "We've scored a lot of goals." That's how I handled it. She was happy and she didn't ask anything else. If my son isn't playing, I am pretty much in la la land. I just enjoy the sunshine, weather and I people watch. That's how I get through an hour of practice and an hour of soccer a week.

I am also bad at preparing for the weather. When Ry was a little kid, soccer was canceled at the first sprinkle. Now, even during a downpour, games are played. It is a lot to remember. You have to have large umbrellas for the games. If you have a little one and you sit down, you will get soaked. It has to be a golf umbrella. You have to bring a jacket no matter what the weather. You think you know what the weather is like when you leave the house. It somehow changes when you are on the field. I have yet been able to get the clothing right for a game. Last week, it felt chilly. I wore a sweater (I am always cold) and a long sleeve shirt. People were there in shorts. I was sweating and shaking my head that I somehow messed up again on the clothing.

The snacks are also a problem for this soccer mom. My coach has not organized a list. This may sound great to some of you. It is not. No one one knows who is bringing the snacks. I don't feel that my child will starve without one. He is so darn picky that he only eats about 1 in 5 snacks offered at the field. My problem is that every week I am worried that it is my turn. I leave the snacks in the van just in case. But, every week someone else brings them to the field. What a pain. Just give me a date and get it over with.

My husband played soccer until he graduated from college. There are a lot of soccer games in my future. With two boys, I know there will be a lot of sporting events in my life. This is our first attempt at real sports. They have real uniforms. They are playing real soccer. And I am turning into a real soccer mom.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ahh... a "real" soccer mom!! ;) You will get it...just wait a few more games. Leanving the snacks in the car...you are too funny!

Unknown said...

When dressing for outdoor sports, always plan for about 10 degrees lower then what the Weather Channel says. If you're just sitting around and watching it always feels colder out.

enthalpymama said...

I carried snacks in my car all through T-ball season. Soccer has requested "healthy" snacks, which sounded like a good idea until I realized that cut up oranges don't do well stuffed under the back seat.

So, have you figured out how to keep that jersey clean three times a week? Or, do experienced moms just keep Febreze in their cars and keep going?

Kat said...

I've never understood the whole bring a snack for everything rule. To preschool, playdates, soccer games, gymnastics. What the heck? It is less than two hours! Do they really need to stop and eat in between? Ca-razy!

Clare said...

Oh, I can't wait for the days when Bradley is actually really playing soccer! too cute!! I am not good with weather stuff either. We had an engagement party this weekend outside. I brought long sleeves, thinking it was chilly. totally muggy and hot. Poor bradley walked around in long sleeves and jeans. Oh well!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, I'm scared this will be me in a couple years....even with a girl. Hubby wants her playing soccer, I want her dancing. We'll see what she likes I guess.

Maybe by the time they are in high school, you'll have it down, right? one can hope:)

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title