Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Makin' Us All Scream!

The music starts softly. It can barely be heard. Slowly, the music grows louder and louder. My children and I can no longer ignore the song that keeps coming closer and closer to our house. Finally, I see it. The local ice cream truck making its daily trip past my house. On a walk a few weeks ago, I finally figured out why I always hear the ice cream truck. The ice cream truck owner is a neighbor. They live right around the corner from us.





So daily, in addition to the music being played by the ice cream truck, you can also hear this conversation (with tears).




Mom, you never let us buy ice cream.

Sorry, Ry. Ice cream trucks charge a lot for their ice cream.



It's not fair. The neighbor kids always get to buy some. Why don't we?



Their mommy works. They have more money.



You've never let us buy any (Here come the tears).



You are right. If I do it once. You will want it every day. They drive by every night. You will beg every night. You will cry every night.



So I was worn down tonight by a smart five year old. Tonight, we found a compromise that includes a sticker chart and piano practicing. We'll soon be hanging out with the neighbors at the ice cream truck in front of my house if my son starts practicing his piano. Great, this new plan will cost me money and probably make me gain ice cream weight. But, at least there will be more piano practicing and less tears. Hopefully.




6 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I was totally going to suggest some sort of reward system. That way the kiddos know when you expect it and know what they have to do to earn it!

WTG Momma!

OHmommy said...

Jay totally makes his own money every week with chores.

He has quickly learned how expensive ice cream is and carnival games. Magically he became a saver. Thank goodness. I am not sure Lola will follow in his footsteps.

Jessica said...

I was absolutely shocked at the price of a popscicle from the ice cream truck! The music was jamming, we went running, i grabbed the camera to document our son's 1st ice cream man experience...I could see the memories being made in my head. Everything came to a crashing halt... Um, I had to go back into the house to get more money!

Stephanie said...

We don't have an ice cream truck out here that I've seen...yet. Summer isn't in full swing yet! Good idea with the reward system, too! Way to go mommy!

Someone Being Me said...

Very clever. I don't know if I could stand the ice cream truck going by everyday. I would have to set a house rule of once a week ice cream or once a month.

KG said...

Heh - my poor mother made me practice the piano until I finally wore her down and she let me give it up. I just had no patience for it at all.

*hangs head in shame*

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title