I love food. All kinds. I even eat airline food when they offer (thank you Continental). I have high standards for some food. Sometimes I like cheap, crummy food. My husband and I were tearing into Doritos last week and one of us said "Doritos are underrated." They really are. You will not find them at a fancy cocktail party. You won't find them at a dinner party. But if you did, people would eat every last one of them. They don't get respect but most everyone loves Doritos.
Every now and then, we like to come up with foods that no one really gives any props to but really deserve some attention for being yummy. Please no comments about unhealthy food choices or allergies. I hear you. I am not talking about. I am just saying. Relax.
Our list in no particular order:
1. The peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Cheap, easy to pack, no refrigeration necessary. So easy. Love it. I eat one every morning for breakfast. Really.
2. Grilled cheese or toasted cheese. Yummmmmy. Perfection.
3. Pizza rolls. If you ever make a batch for visiting friends (like my husband's old law school buddies) they will disappear as fast as you can make them. Well, you have to wait for them to cool a little first or you will seriously burn your mouth. "Lava hot" as we call it here. But once they cool, they are gone in a flash.
4. Any sort of macaroni and cheese. Homemade or Kraft. Love it all. Could there be a more perfect use of cheese?
5. And finally...drum roll please...chicken nuggets. If you have ever swiped one off of your child's plate at a restaurant, you realize that there is a reason kids order this everywhere they go. It is good stuff. A lot of times, I secretly think my child's meal is better at the restaurant than mine. I would never have the courage to order "chicken strips" at a restaurant. But, I'd probably be a little more satisfied at some restaurants if I did.
So there you have it. Our list of underrate foods. I am off to make some PB & J's for the pool. Maybe we'll have mac and cheese for dinner. Please feel free to add some suggestions to our list of underrated foods. Cheeze whiz? Spam? Ritz crackers?