Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I am Bridget Jones

I am in a preschool PTA. It is more like a mom's club and we have monthly meetings. This month, our last meeting was labeled "Prom." I never liked the idea and the thought of it made me a little queasy. I work the front table and I didn't want to dress up like I was going to a prom. As the "Welcome Chair," I had no choice. I had to be there and I knew I'd have to dress up.

For months, the organizer of the prom showed old prom dresses at the meetings. They were AWFUL. I am no longer the tiny size I was in high school. I am also pregnant. So, I had to buy a dress. I found the perfect peach 70's ball gown from the Goodwill. I wore blue eye shadow and had my mom help me with an updo. I had ringlets cascade down my face and I even made a corsage.


Before I left, I called the organizer and made sure she was dressing up. Yes, she had her dress on and she even went to a salon to have an updo. Cool. I am relieved.


It took every bit of courage I had to walk into the building from my car. I knew I'd be the first one there. So, I set up my table and waited. As each woman arrived, I couldn't believe my eyes. I saw cute dresses. Dresses you could wear to a wedding. Dresses for a night out with the hubby. Dresses that didn't sceam ugly. Then the organizer walked in. I couldn't believe my eyes. She bought her dress from Filene's Basement. NEW! Hair was cute. Not an ugly 70's updo. Shoes were sassy. Make-up modern.


I was duped. I was Bridget Jones. I wanted to die.


10 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Oh goawd, that does suck! I'm so so sorry!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my God, you poor thing!! LOL!!!!!!! That MAJORLY sucks!!!!! I thought the whole point of that thing was to find/wear dresses that were in style from your own prom! OMG!!!!! I feel your pain. But, I must say, you most definitely did look like a prom chick from the 70's!!!!!!!! ` KP

Don Mills Diva said...

Stop it! You were obviously the COOL one 'cause you KNEW that grown women planning a prom HAD to be ironic! I wish you would have worked that dress in such a way that it was clear you were mocking their "prom".

KG said...

THEY were the self-conscious losers who couldn't suck it up and take a joke.

I say next time you make it a flannel theme and be the only one to show up in a totally hot Filene's Basement dress. Then they can feel stupid.

Unknown said...

I think you look pretty! that does suck though! But you were unique and creative and stood out!!!

and Bridget Jones ended up with a pretty good looking guy in the end!

OHmommy said...

Awww.... you look so cute. Really. You do.

Seems like everyone else was a party pooper. Huh?

ConverseMomma said...

No way, you look so cute. Seriously, adorable. Although, I am sort of craving an orange creamsicle as I read your blog. Just kidding! You rocked the prom!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

It sucks...but really...that dress isn't bad. I think it's actually pretty cute!

Stephanie said...

New to y0our blog, and will be back! What a funny story! You go girl for stepping out and haveing personality! lol They were just party poopers!

Pandora Wilde said...

I know I'm new here, but if you think you lacked a single thing, from the looks of that picture, you're absolutely wrong.

Baloney--you look beautiful there! That dress is the perfect color for you, the cut works wonderfully for your bod as it is right now, and you weren't Bridget Jones--you were slammin' gorgeous! The only thing you needed was maybe some bling in your hair to match the earrings, dress and bracelet! A strand of pearls or rhinestones to set off some more sparkle and you'd be all set.

You GLOW in that dress--and I'm willing to bet most of the rest couldn't hold a candle to you.

Oh, and hi. Nice to meet you. ~blush~ I get a little babble-ish some nights.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title