Sunday, November 2, 2008

Expensive Lesson Learned

We walked in making jokes about how we were dressed. We didn't intend to meet at this really nice restaurant. Our local hangout was closed because of winter hours. We were stuck with the restaurant next door.

So, we sat down and asked the waiter for a suggestion for our wine. That is code for "bring us wine that is good but at a good price." I made the mistake of turning my nose up at Stagg's Leap. Nothing personal against the wine. But, we had it recently and I just don't care for it. Anyway, the waiter brought us the wine list. We asked for a suggestion. He gave it and we took it.

All good until the bill came. Our eyes almost popped out of our heads when we saw the bill. It was a $100 bottle of wine. Now, you are reading this thinking you would have asked about the wine he suggested. You wouldn't have. Not in this place. You would have felt awkward and cheap. You would.
But let me tell you, as much as I enjoyed my 2 glasses of wine, I feel sick that I spent the money. Just sick. There are times when you enjoy spending money on wine and times that it is not necessary. Girlfriends, I enjoyed your company but it was just too much money. We are watching our budget and really being particular about where we spend our money. Drinking it all made me sick.

So just so we are clear Mr. Waiter, you would have received a 20% tip from the lovely ladies tonight. But instead, you received $1. 50 for your outstanding suggestion of Cask Cabernet of Napa Valley 2004. It was good but I still have a sick feeling in my stomach. Lesson learned. It just stinks that it was such an expensive lesson to learn.

9 comments:

enthalpymama said...

I am still kicking myself for not having said anything, but I am glad that I called the wine list back. Nothing on that front page we were looking at had anything over $54. He should have said that he didn't have anything to recommend in that price range, but we also should have asked. We were too busy enjoying each other's company.

My fun money is MORE than blown too.

Clare said...

That totally stinks, a fun night turned bad!!! I would hate to have that happen, some people (waiters) just don't realize?!!

Stephanie said...

Wow! I didn't even know wine could be that expensive! Maybe you should have a Holy cow budget for times like that? ;oD

Someone Being Me said...

That is kind of ridiculous. I would have been sick too.

Stephanie said...

That sucks :(
You would think they would have said something, but thats what they are taught I guess.
Next time you know though!!

Jessica said...

I didn't know they could make wine THAT good! Wow.

Cynthia said...

Wow...that is a bummer. I am fine with the two buck chuck at Trader Joe's;)

Anonymous said...

G, that will teach you to pass on the "Stag's Leap!" Had it tonight at Delmonico's. And G, I wasn't aware that you had "conservative" friends (just kidding -- I'm actually excited about an Obama Presidency! Yes, even me!). I'd like to meet "miss six figures"! She is conservative! You go girl!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Ummm..that's ridiculous. You shouldn't suggest a $100 bottle of wine! Wow!

Hope he learned his lesson.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title