Thursday, August 11, 2011

Give Me Some Sugar!




I am a sugar addict. I can eat an entire white cake in a day. And then drink a Coke. And then some more Coke.


When I decided to lose weight about two years ago, I knew that my love affair with sugar would have to end some day. But, with Weight Watchers, we could casually keep our affair in order. I used to use Splenda all day in my tea and then at night, I would have a Coke with a treat like M & M's. It worked for me and I lost over 60 lbs. doing this.


But then I wondered what would happen if I gave up Splenda. I wanted to really taste real food and get rid of the super sweet hot tea that was getting me through my day. I made the switch to real sugar to get rid of the super sweet Splenda. Calories weren't my issue. A teaspoon of sugar only has 15 calories. A bargain! But I wanted to decrease it over time. Sounds crazy but I measured down to 1/4 tsp. I was hoping that healthy foods would taste better to me. A grape or a strawberry would taste like a thrill! The jury is still out on this one. I love my sweets.



So I hit a milestone in my journey this week. I am now drinking tea with just a splash of milk. This is huge for me. When I worked, I used to put in THREE TEASPOONS in each cup!!!! Yikes! And to have it without sugar is absolutely astonishing to me.

Little changes over time can add up to huge changes in your diet (or your budget). You hear it all the time. Try it. You know how you see the ladies with their marathon stickers on their vans? That's how proud I am. I would love to put a sticker on my car. I just can't believe it. And while this isn't the most thrilling post you have ever read, it is for me. Yahoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! No sugar in your tea? Char and Maz won't believe it! That's awesome!

MIT Mommy said...

Well done! When I start seeing the pounds increase, I can always look at that extra cafe mocha (much less a little sugar!). I have found that frothing skim milk (and using higher quality coffee) decreases my huge sugar usage to just a little bit, but I've never been able to cut it out entirely.

I am very impressed.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title