Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Skin

A post brought to you straight from Myrtle Beach, our family vacation. Kiddos are asleep. I have lost a dozen rounds of solitaire. My in-laws are away for a late dinner and my hubby is playing video games with his brother. Yes, I should be reading my many books. And for the record, I have finished two and all of the magazines. I just had to check in.
**************************************************************************
White and pale. So pale that I am almost blue. I am standing in the elevator in my bathing suit with people. They have all of their clothes on. I am wet and a little sandy. They are heading out to dinner and are nicely dressed for the evening. I am coming down with a fish net for my son. I stood there and I felt fine. I even talked to them. Wow. I can't believe I could do that without cringing.

A week of hanging out in my swimsuit with the kiddos will do that. I have no choice. I still have not found the perfect cover-up. Because of it, I have found new found freedom in my own skin. We are playing in the tide and digging large holes in the sand. We are playing ping pong and shuffle board in the water area in our suits. I spend most of the day wearing my suit and moving from beach to pool and then back again.

It is such a good feeling to see the imperfections and realize that it is OK. I am me and this is my body. It is my skin. Now, can I bottle this and save it for future occasions?

11 comments:

atypeamommy said...

Maybe we can remind each other. Maybe you should have worn your swimsuit to Prom! Glad you are having a great time!!

enthalpymama said...

I love this post, by the way.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That's awesome! I'm still not there yet, and we will be beaching it soon!

My skin is so white, people need sunglasses!

Anonymous said...

There's just something about being at the beach. No one cares who's in their bathing suit, at what time of day or what they look like. The beach ROCKS!!!

KG said...

Fantastic! I hope you continue to have a skin-filled and restful vacation!

Rhea said...

I totally know what you mean. I have been living in my bathing suit this summer and I'm strangely comfortable now walking around in it. Weird.

Anonymous said...

Years from now, you will never remember these meaningless imperfections that we all share. But you will remember how much fun you had in your bathing suit with your boys. And know that your kiddos think you are the prettiest lady on the beach!

Glad to have found your blog!

Stephanie said...

You go girl!! Theres a little something on my blog for you!! :)

Lisa said...

Good for you! I wish I could get there...I love my cover-up because I don't love my body & what it's become.....sigh....

Kat said...

I love this post!

Eve Grey said...

Oh, so good to read this! Funny how doing something habitually makes it just fine. In this case, that's a good thing!

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title