Monday, October 20, 2008

I Am Not So Bad!

I was watching Live With Regis and Kelly last week. Regis wasn't there so Anderson Cooper filled in. I love Anderson Cooper. I do. He is great. Anyway. He was talking about one of his favorite shows, the Real Housewives of Atlanta on Bravo. Have you watched it? It is unbelievable. I have watched the other seasons of this show but this year, it is blowing me away. Not in a good way!

As I watched my first episode of the year, my husband walked in and kind of looked at me funny. What the heck am I watching? I was wondering too. Why is it fascinating to watch people like this? As I sat through the episode I thought about what Anderson Cooper said on Regis. He said that he watches because it makes you feel better about yourself. I get it. I understand what he means. As I sat there, I was thinking, "At least I am a better mom than that lady." "At least I am not so materialistic." "At least I can handle a kid's birthday party without a drink from the bar." Well, maybe not. Anyway, I am amazed that people live like this. With the rest of America worrying about the rising cost of food and the economy, it is hard to believe that there are women who have make-up artists and hairdressers at their house every morning.

So people, set you DVR just once in the next week. Make yourself watch just a smidgen. Watch as much as you can stomach. And reassure yourself that you are a good person. You have almost normal friends and you probably live a pretty normal life. No one would want to tape my life. And that it good thing.

8 comments:

OHmommy said...

Thanks for the heads up.

I always love to watch shows that make me feel better about my parenting and self.

Perhaps we should all watch it together for a GNO. (That's fancy for girls night out)

Flea said...

I used to watch the nanny shows to make me feel better about my parenting. Then I realized to what I was comparing myself. And how close, at times, I came to that. Scary movie.

Jessica said...

I just found your blog today (through Krizzy Designs) -- and was immediately pulled into this post. I AGREE! I've been totally hooked to the Orange County & New York Wives...but these Atlanta women are SO different. I could at least find SOME good in the others. I almost felt guilty for the way I was thinking...glad I'm not alone!!

Stephanie said...

Good point. We're not so bad after all!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I might need something to make me feel better, too!

I think I caught a glimpse of it the other night. The woman said she dropped like $20,000 on her daughter's birthday party. That's just insane.

Jessica said...

I am chuckling at your post. I just got home from lunch with a friend. "2 adults, 4 kid's menus, 2 high chairs...please" Yes, we were those women. But, we were seated next to 2 women with 4 kids and they were being so loud and misbehaved....it was nice to marvel in the one time my kiddos were sitting and actually eating there lunch like humans! I wanted to stand up and announce "EXCUSE ME! Do you see my kiddos are being Good? Look at those obnoxious children! They don't belong to me!"

Jennifer said...

I've watched this show a few times, and it does blow me away too. i can't imagine living like that... and i don't mean in a good way either. sure money, and lots of it... sounds very nice, but do you have to become a total snob and bad mother and bossy witch when you are wealthy?

it does give you a nice reality check.

xoxoxo

Rhea said...

I do love shows like that. I'll admit it. I'll go set my DVR now.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title