Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cheapie Carpet

Our house was built 10 years ago. This means our carpet is 10 years old. It is really showing its age. When it was new, it was still cheapie carpet. It was chosen by the builder and every house around here has the same carpet. I often wonder why would they put such a light carpet in this house? Who can live like this? Maybe someone without children. Or pets. Or grownups.




I am not ready to buy new carpet at this time. But, my carpet is getting gross in some areas. I have a great carpet cleaner. But, some of it needs professional help. When I have had it professionally cleaned in the past, I was amazed at how good my carpet could look.


Here's the problem. Do you have to go with a name brand carpet cleaning company or will any local guy do? Local companies are so much cheaper. I have tried to research this online. Consumer Reports recommends Stanley Steamer. That's all I could find online. I have had no luck. So, I thought I would ask my readers. I have used Stanley Steamer in the past. Have you tried the no name companies? What was your experience? Does it really matter? I know Stanley Steemer would say it matters. But does it really?

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

hmmmmm... i have no clue on this. i'm thinking that if the no name guy has a real carpet cleaner not like you can buy in wal-mart or target, but something more industrial then it would probably be fine. :) if the difference in money is pretty substantial then i would try the no name guy.

good luck with your choice!!

xoxoxox

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

We haven't had our carpet professionally cleaned (although, I'm sure it's coming soon).

We always seem to have good luck with local people, so I would give them a try. If you aren't satisfied, I bet they would try to fix the problem, too!

OHmommy said...

Have you been to my house? I am surprised you still come over.

Click on my pics today on my blog... we have way more stains then you on our cheapie carpet.

Anonymous said...

Hey, call me. I've got an awesome No-Namer for you. He's great! KP

KG said...

You know ... I have a similar light-colored carpet in my house. I loathe it! LOATHE carpet. I will NEVER live in a place with carpet again!

Oh - and I'd go for the name brand.

Someone Being Me said...

We used a local guy when we moved into our house. It was nice having the owner of a company cleaning my house. I felt like he had an investment in how well it turned out. Plus he was way cheaper and he came on Memorial Day weekend with no notice. None of the other "big" companies I called would come out on a weekend. Make sure to ask about Scotch Guarding the carpet to make the clean last longer.

Rhea said...

I don't have any good suggestions. I hate light carpet, and we have it in our house also. Hello, I have two boys and a messy hubby and a dog. We are BAD to these carpets.

Jessica said...

Indy- I will email you with who I have used locally in your area. Local company. Good price. Did a great job. I have same issue w/ 10 year old cheapie carpet. Here is the thing...carpet cleaning merely gives you hope for 1 week...then somehow it just returns to its old ways of looking....sadly you and I need new carpet :)

C and C Mommy said...

I too have cheapie carpet, but I bought a Hoover Steam Carpet Cleaner. I love it!! I use it several times a year with vinegar and hot water. My family uses it too!! It has definitely paid for itself!! Since clean carpet doesn't last long, I have found this solution way better than hiring someone. Other than that, we have ripped out most of the other carpet in our house and have tile!!

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title