Friday, June 27, 2008

Needs Versus Wants

I had a crazy thought yesterday. I somehow thought I was going to apply for a part-time job. I would work from home to help with our budget and pay for the extra things. I spent most of lasst night, searching for a reputable company. I have seen Women For Hire's Tori Johnson on Good Morning America. It all sounds so good. She has great suggestions. But for those of you who know me, I know what you are thinking. Where would I find the time? Really. I have to sleep sometime and my house can't clean itself.

I have worked in Student Affairs after graduate school. But, I can't work away from my home right now. It just wouldn't work for us. When visiting my dad today, he helped me figure out that I would make nearly nothing after taxes if I worked part-time. Man. Bummer. Then there is the problem with childcare. If I ever pay a penny for someone to watch my children, it would be a wash. I wouldn't make a penny.

I need to remember that I have a job. My hours are intense. My boss isn't so good about letting me eat my lunch. My boss barges in on me in the bathroom. I can barely get a shower without my boss asking me a question. I don't get many vacation time at this position. I am not allowed to call in sick. The days are long.

But, I am paid in smiles, giggles, hugs and wet willies. There will be no extra part-time work for me right now. Instead of thinking about my wants, I need to be more grateful. We can afford what we need. We have everything we really need and more. Life is good.

8 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

So true...your job is the most important one out there...even with bad benefits and no vacation time!

Stephanie said...

I think this is a common problem amongst us stay at homers. I get the wild hair to do something like this a lot...my most recent adventure lasted all of 2 days, and the stuff I have to sell on ebay is still sitting on my study shelf, awaiting listing. I guess even though we most likely work harder (and definitely longer hours) than our hubbies, we still feel the need to pitch in financially somehow. But like you said, we all must make sacrifices. If the big screen tv's and manicures have to go, it's a sacrifice we're all willing to make to be able to stay at home with the gifts God has given us!

Anonymous said...

Indy...what a fun blog you're writing. Think of small steps to reach a big goal. It's easy to come up with all the reasons why you can't or shouldn't do anything -- and they're valid reasons. But where there's a will there's a way. If you really want to make money at home, you can find the time to reach that goal. Is it easy? Of course not. But it's definitely doable. Maybe you set aside 30 minutes a day to select, photograph and post things on eBay. (All the money won't go to taxes, nor will it go to a sitter!) Or think of a skill you'd love to use again while working from home. You don't have to earn thousands of dollars overnight to make it worthwhile. Start where it's comfortable and build from there. I'm rooting for your success.

Genny said...

You have the MOST important job of all!

Kellan said...

Hey - I have that same job!

Have a good weekend - Kellan

Rhea said...

I've been searching for part time jobs too, and it's hard to find anything worth it. But, my kids are in school now, so I might be able to find something that works with those hours....

Lisa said...

I've been going through that same scenario in my head lately. Hubby & I were just talking last night about our grandparents as kids - they grew up in the depression & literally had nothing. We're all so blessed (spoiled too!) and really have more than we need. I am one though that needs to remind myself of that often!
And yes, this gig as mom, although hard and long is wonderfully rewarding, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I have to respectfully disagree with your dad though, even if it "evens out" part of your taxes will be paying into your own social security, and your work experience and contacts you make will make a difference some time in future when you might want to get a full time job.

Of course that is true of all you are doing now like selling stuff on ebay! In fact that is a pretty good part time job right there, go to a local business, record or book store, boutique, crafts, whatever, and offer your skills at setting up online sales on ebay or amazon. 8-) I see a lot of small businesses who want to do this but don't have the time to figure out how.

Good luck and... I've *so* been there.

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title