Sunday, April 13, 2008

In the Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2

While waiting in line to buy tea at Barnes and Noble, I found the coolest CD: In the Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2. I am a huge U2 fan. But, I have never seen this new album or even heard about it. I just love it. Each song is a U2 song interpretted by an African artist. My favorite is (Pride) In the Name of Love by the Soweto Gospel Choir. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own by Vusi Mahlasela brought tears to my eyes. It is so touching.

In the album cover, each song has a description about the artist. It also describes the country where the artist is from and issues the country is facing. It also lists organizations that are working to help the people of that country.

You can find this album at Barnes & Noble of course. You can also buy it at http://www.amazon.com/. Just a warning. I found another album with nearly the same title. In the Name of Love: Artists United For Africa. It is an album by Christian artists. I have never listened to it and it may be fantastic. I have only heard the album with African artists.


Below is a list of songs on the album. It is definitely an album to buy. Proceeds from the CD will benefit the Global Fund. It is an organization working to fight AIDS, Malaria and TB. For more information check out the www.theglobalfund.org/EN/

In the Name of Love: Africa Celebrates U2
Mysterious Ways / Angélique Kidjo
Bullet the Blue Sky / Vieux Farka Touré
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Ba Cissoko
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own / Vusi Mahlasela
Where the Streets Have No Name / Tony Allen
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Cheikh Lô
One / Keziah Jones
With or Without You / Les Nubians
Pride (In the Name of Love) / The Soweto Gospel Choir
Seconds / Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars
Desire / Optimus
Love Is Blindness / Waldemar Bastos

No comments:

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title