Monday, April 21, 2008

Who Knew You Could Buy Worms from Ebay?

The Earth Day Celebration Continues.......

"Mommy ordered worms from EBay and we are going to keep them in our kitchen," said Ryan to my mother-in-law. It was such a weird sentence that she didn't even know how to respond. She just said "a huh, Ryan." She looked at me wondering what he was talking about.

I tried to brush it off and change the topic. My mother-in-law doesn't recycle. It just isn't their thing. How would she understand my need to start using worms to compost IN MY KITCHEN? It is weird. I feel the same. But, it was something I wanted to try. I had kept a clipping from the newspaper for over a year about it. I thought what the heck! I looked it up online and ordered red worms from EBay.

So in case you need a little more life in your kitchen, here is how I created a home for the worms.

Here is the box I used to hold the worms.



We ripped paper and cardboard to make our box welcoming to our new guests.


The worms finally arrived at our house. My boys were soooooo excited!

I had no idea they would arrive in a bag.






I didn't know how to get them out of the bag. Ewwww. Gross.






If I was a reading this, I would wonder how it was going with the worms. Straight talk. Be honest. Well, I am still learning. This morning, I awoke to 10 red worms on my kitchen floor. I have no idea how they got there. They were under my sink with a locked door. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. I was shocked so I googled "worms all over my floor" and there were posts. Apparently, my worms do not like their new house. They were trying to escape. So, I added more wet cardboard to their house. Hopefully they decide to spend the night in their container tonight. I have no idea how they got out. I am not sure I want to know.

We have fed them old grapes, old bananas, a used tea bag and bread. It isn't too smelly and I sprinkle the box with water before bed each night to make sure it doesn't dry out. It isn't any extra work for me. It is easier than a compost pile outside. I was too lazy to walk to the back of our yard to have an outside compost pile. So, I started this one. If you'd like to shock your family and friends and would like more information about vermicomposting, feel free to ask any questions about the process in my comment section or email me directly.

Happy Earth Day!




4 comments:

Rhea said...

Waking up to worms all over the kitchen floor might have been a deal-breaker for me. lol Good luck with your compost!

Jessica said...

You are a brave brave woman. I found a worm in my garage that was literally so large (length) I thought it was a snake. My 2 year old son learned a few more choice words that morning! More power to you!

Anonymous said...

Did they eat through your cupboards or what?!?!?!?! Watch out, next thing you know, they might be on your floor in the middle of the night....ewwww!!!

Jules said...

How about Happy Earthworm Day? He he.

So how are they little guys doing?

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title