Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's? Day

Disclaimer: Dear Mother-in-law and Mom, I love getting together for brunch and dinner on Mother's Day. Please understand that I love our Mother's Day tradition. I am not talking about it, I am just saying.
******************************************************************

Mother's Day really isn't Mother's Day. It's really grandma's day. My kids are still pretty small. They have mom's day at school the week prior to Mother's Day so they don't understand that Mother's Day is a real day. Also, I am with my children every day, all day except for nursery school a few times a week. I don't feel the need to bond with my children on this day. We bond every day, hours and hours a day. Every day is mother's day.

For Mom's special day, do we get the day off? Not really. We have to hurry around getting the kids dressed in pants without holes and in a "handsome" shirts. We try to comb their hair and make sure they look presentable. We search for their shoes and socks. We rush around wrapping gifts and finding cards. Some years, we are running to the store to buy the card that we lost somewhere in our house.

On MY mother's day, we go to a very nice brunch with the whole in-law clan. I honestly
enjoy the get together. My husband takes over with the kids and I enjoy relaxing and talking with the family. Afterwards, we say goodbye and head on down to my hometown, Alliance. We usually get their first and by the time my sister arrives with her children, we are ready to leave. But, we have to stick it out. We also have to suddenly become hungry and eat at my parents house. We usually stuff ourselves at the brunch so it is impossible to be hungry for an early dinner at my parents. By the end of this visit, the kids are cranky and ready to go home. So are we.

In the end, I don't get any special time to myself on Mother's Day. It is more stressful than a normal day. It is up there with holidays such as Thanksgiving or Easter. Don't get me wrong. I am so lucky that I have family that I have to visit on this holiday. It is just that the reality of the day clashes with a romantic special day I have in my mind.

My dream day off:

I sleep in until I can't sleep any more. The kids are away and I can get a shower alone. I then get ready to go to Ladies & Gentleman in Lyndhurst for a facial and massage. Afterwards, I go shopping without any guilt and find the perfect outfit. I meet some friends for an early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. We then go to see a chic flick. (Now remember, I am pregnant. If I wasn't, the evening would include dancing and lots of wine!)

How would you spend the day if you could be completely honest? Would you spend it with your kids or do you need some time off to yourself? We all need different things at different stages of our lives. Happy Mother's Day! I am sending you warm wishes for a wonderful Mother's Day. Whatever that entails.

7 comments:

OHmommy said...

LOVE your disclaimer.

Im just saying. ;)

Rhea said...

It's true Mother's Day isn't a big deal until the kids get older...when they can start making their own cards for you and coming up with ideas to do special things for you. That's when it's more special.

ConverseMomma said...

The perfect day would be definitely involve me sleeping in, but then I would spend it with my kids at the beach. I know, I'm lame. I would have them go to bed early so Hubs and I could go on a date night. Still, so lame, right?

Anonymous said...

Since you put the disclaimer, I don't have to. I would spend it eating breakfast and drinking my coffee out on the deck, listening to the birds chirp (and that being my only form of "noise"). Then I'd lay on the hammock and read a good juicy novel where the God of Love wraps his muscular guns around his mistresses burning mounds of flesh...and wish that some hunk of burning love was doing that to me at that moment.(LOL) Then maybe I'd get a massage, pedicure and manicure. Go shopping w/o any guilt, catch a comedy w/ swear words and love scenes (rather than Raven, Little Einsteins or Mickey Mouse being in the scene), come home and take a nap. Maybe even actually carry on an uninterrupted conversation w/ my husband and while we're at it, have a little make-out session. Then I'd go for a walk in the park, come home and watch Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Call it a night and go to bed relaxed with a smile on my face and no children in my bed. But, you're right, it should be called Grandmother's Day, not Mother's Day.

Unknown said...

My perfect day? A guilt free pedicure and manicure, sleeping as long as I want, no children or husband anywhere to be seen, food is completely calorie free and i can drink as much as I want and drive wherever I want! That's like unrealistic perfect day.

Realistically, still guilt free pedi and mani, maybe some alone time, then a baby sitter who doesn't charge and the husband and I get a night out or afternoon and night out by ourselves partly and then with friends.

Lisa said...

Love the disclaimer too. I was just thinking how it works that way - glad you put it into words.

If I could have my way I'd have the Saturday before Mother's Day all to myself. I'd be getting a pedi, massage, shopping, lunch with friends, etc. while Hubby & the kiddos were finishing the laundry, cleaning the house, etc. THEN Hubby & I would meet friends for dinner, and spend ALL DAY SUNDAY with our girls. Wouldn't that be great!!!

Although, my Goosey brought me a "raisin bread jelly sandwich" in bed this morning. Life doesn't get much better than that!

KG said...

See, I think Mother's Day is one of those greeting card holidays that the industry made up to get us to spend money!

My ideal mother's day? See I'd like to spend it with my husband and kiddo but on vacation somewhere fabulous. Like Greece (pretending that kiddo wouldn't have horrible jet lag and be miserable to be around) . . .

I'm Not Talking About It, I'm Just Saying...

Title